In the new users forum, I am still posting tips. Not everyone follows that Facebook group, and a few folks mentioned that they found my ideas useful. Please leave any suggestions that you have in the comments.
1. Create a WordPress account. I am not really prepared to argue the merits of the various blogging platforms, but you need a WordPress account to effectively play on the Avenue. Since a WordPress hosted account is the only blog platform that can connect directly as a scoring network, it merits special consideration. Many missions ask for a WP Like, Comment, or Share. You need an account to do these missions. You can create content for your blog simply by reblogging content from other sources…that is two button clicks for those that haven’t tried it.
2. EA uses your top 5 networks to calculate the dividends that you pay to your shareholders. Even if you are not active on that many SM networks, it is probably a good idea to go ahead and create/connect at least five. It will definitely encourage folks to buy you. Who knows, you might even find a new platform that you enjoy.
3. Some folks don’t play nicely. Some have bad manners, some are nasty, and some are complete scoundrels. Empire Avenue allows you a couple of tools to manage those folks.
You can quiet the rude folks by muting them. On their profile page where you recommend or add to other lists, you can click the Mute button. This will keep anyone from seeing their posts to your profile wall. There is also a mute option on the shouts that are on your wall that works exactly the same.
If you have more serious trouble, consider these options. You can Report the offender to let EA know of your trouble with this person. btw, I have no idea what if anything they do with this information. Go to the Profile page of the offender and look in the bottom right corner and click the yellow Report button. Directly beneath the Report button, there is the Block option. When you Block someone, you automatically sell your investment in them. If they are invested in you, those shares are sold also without commission to the person you blocked. You can’t run their missions or have any other interaction with them on the Avenue. Of course this does not apply to other sites. You can unblock a person after a week if you would like.
4. Lots of eaves are nice. The game can be really fun, but the people you meet are what is really important. Everyone needs to take a break now and then; so don’t get too concerned about your game. Take time to let someone know you care; so for Heaven’s sake…get off the silly computer and have a great day in the real world away from Empire Avenue! If you are going on an extended holiday ( I heartily endorse this); then you might want to consider purchasing vacation from the EA store.
5. Be cautious about running a buy me mission. If folks know that you do many, they have no reason to spend their own eaves to buy your stock. We will just wait for your mission to buy you. Occasionally when you are trying to hit a milestone, needing to stop the bleeding, or just wanting a lift…ok. There is nothing immoral or unethical about a buy me mission; just not a smart strategy if you do it too often.
6. When you are investing, check the portfolio of your potential investment. If they are not investing, they won’t stick around. The game is too tough to play with just eaves from doing missions, and too expensive to play with just bought eaves. The only exception is a few Social Media rock stars who don’t play, but their Social Media activity produces awesome dividends.
7. When I make a buy/sell decision with 7 day old stocks as the Fresh Face status is lifted, the size of the portfolio is a great predictor of future growth. If they are investors, they are engaging not just with the platform; but also engaging with people. They will tend to stick around.
8. Newcomers, be patient and thoughtful as you get the opportunity to run missions. Focus on building community and spreading your message (and receiving others’ messages). Practice restraint and don’t start running fully self-serving (i.e. Buy my stuff) missions until you are well on your way to buying back those who have supported you. Put some effort into identifying what makes missions easier to do and you will see much better results! Identify clearly what the mission is about in the description – leave NOTHING to doubt. This is doubly so if your mission is one where some people may not feel comfortable. Never EVER try to trick someone with or into a mission…from Casey Fahey
9. In EA scoring, not all networks are the same in value for creating dividends. I DO NOT know why this is the case, but you can check the network leader boards. Evidence suggests that Instagram, 4Square, FaceBook, and WordPress are probably the leaders for dividend production. LinkedIn has surprisingly little impact. A similar moderately interesting fact is that IG, 4S, & WP are relatively easy to ‘game’ if that floats your boat.
10. Try to avoid selling your investors. Jeff Mayernik had a fresh face that he maxed out buy 96 of shares and then sell them an hour later. Important safety tip – If you pull a stunt like that, you are probably going to find yourself blocked. Folks will talk about you, and folks will not trust you. Your share price and engagement are likely to suffer.
Bonus tip: If you are struggling with a network and need to improve your score, find a few folks who will work with you. SM is a reciprocal world. Find 5 or 10 folks who will do something in exchange for the same. I will like/retweet/comment/favorite or whatever 5 of yours every day if you will do the same for me. It is really great if you can actually find folks with similar interests.
Bonus tip #2 Jeanne Lynn asked me how to find who owns shares in you, but you don’t own any in them. On your Profile page click the the tiny arrow next to your Avatar in that blue bar. Select Shareholders; then click the Shares Owned sort twice. On all those sorts, a second click changes between ascending/descending. This will show folks who have invested in you, sorted by the number of shares you own of them.